Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Week 21

This past month, a few other families with Keegan’s company relocated to London.  Spending time with them has brought back some feelings from our own first few delicate weeks of transitioning.  I have to say, I don’t envy them.  When I look back at that time for us, I realize now, I was hanging on by a very thin thread.  It’s so weird when I think about it . . . like remembering a foggy dream . . . going through the motions of waking up, eating, getting Liam to school, etc. etc.  It was kind of like camping in the woods.  I was having fun, yes, but everything was just a tad on the uncomfortable side.  Really, I think I just turned my brain off for a while . . . complete survival mode.  Put head down, get things done, don’t look back, don’t look ahead, build fire, eat chocolate {if we are continuing with the camping analogy} just keep moving, don’t stop.  The keep moving, don’t stop part . . . Liam helped with that.  But once I dropped him off at school and came home to an empty flat, that’s when the homesickness would creep in the door.  I am a firm believer that God puts certain people in your life at certain times for a reason.  Here in London, when we first arrived, that person was B.  I have mentioned her before in a previous post, but even at that time, I don’t think I fully appreciated not only her services (SecurelyBe), but also simply her companionship.  She presented all kinds of information regarding life here in London that probably would’ve taken me a year to work out if left to my own devices, or homesickness, as it were, but the information, for me, was secondary.  In all honesty, at that point, I was just giddy to have someone I could call a friend.  It was, in reality, a business relationship, but truly, her warmth and sincerity made it more.  Having been through the very same thing herself, both personally and professionally, she actually cared whether or not I made it out alive.  We chatted.  We laughed.  I told her my fears.  I unloaded.  She listened.  In retrospect, we should’ve done it over a glass of wine rather than coffee (B, add that to my feedback!).  In essence, B and her business, SecurelyBe, were paramount to my sanity during that time and I cannot imagine having done it without her.  We continue to keep in touch and this week she took me on a little extraneous field trip to Richmond Park, just because.  We tromped around on disgustingly muddy trails in our wellies and through fields of long, deliciously golden long grasses reminiscent of California.  She knows me better than she thinks she does!!  I think her intention was for me to photograph away, but mostly, I enjoyed chatting with her.  She continues to be one of my biggest fans (I love her for that) and continues to offer support, feedback, and a firm, but loving kick in the pants to get my business going again, which (to quote Dr. Seuss because Liam has been reading The Lorax nonstop), “everyone, everyone, everyone needs.”
IMG_3825
IMG_3823 IMG_3832 Week 21-001
And what would a weekly blog post be without images of my little rockstar.  Truly, we don't stop.  Ever.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.  Who has time to be homesick when you have this much giggling to do?!
IMG_3904 IMG_3876 IMG_3872 IMG_3894 IMG_3887
Don't you just want to gobble him?!
IMG_3889

No comments:

Post a Comment